The beginning of St. Paul's goes back to the fall of 1918 when the Reverend Otto Turk of Mischawaka, Indiana makes a survey of Niles with the purpose of establishing a Lutheran Congregation.
In January of 1919, a parish consisting of Niles and Berrien Springs is arranged and the Reverend Otto Sohn of Sherman, Michigan is called to be the Pastor. In the same year a dwelling on the corner of Ferry Street and Seventh Street is purchased to be used as a place of worship for the Niles congregation.
In January 1920, St. Paul's Lutheran Church is organized with 35 baptized members.
In February, 1922 a new church building was built at a cost of $5,000.
In December, 1958 a new church at our current location was built at a cost of $260, 000.
In 2009 we built the Family Life Center which included a new kitchen and multipurpose room.
In that time span we have been blessed with 6 senior pastors.
Of the six, Reverend Theodore Laesch served the longest. He served for an amazing 50 years from 1931 to 1981. Pastor Laesch was called home in 1981 while still serving St. Paul's as their shepherd.
Today, our congregation continues to be mission-minded. We want to tell people the Good News about Jesus and the reason for our hope and our salvation.